Ankle-Foot Orthotics (AFOs) are devices commonly used to treat conditions that affect muscle function in the lower limb such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, peripheral neuropathy and so on. AFOs are another solution that may be recommended to enhance ambulation.
- AFOs can be used to provide support to weak or atrophied limbs.
- AFOs can hold a limb with contracted muscles in a more neutral position.
- AFOs can immobilize the ankle in the presence of arthritis or fracture.
- AFOs can enhance mobility when a person has foot drop.
- Most AFOs can be fitted into off-the-shelf footwear.
At Union Orthotics & Pedorthics, we work in conjunction with physicians and physical therapists to provide the most appropriate AFO for your particular condition.
We may cast your foot and ankle to build a custom device or suggest utilizing an off-the-shelf ankle brace.